Thursday, June 23, 2011

Procrastination: not a lesson I learned from my Dad

OK I know it’s a little late, but procrastination has seemed to infiltrate all aspects of my life, not just thesis writing.


Dear Dad,


You are the best! I would not be where I am today without your love, guidance, support, humor, and example.


So I guess since I blogged stories for Mom I’ll share some of the lessons I’ve learned from my Dad. Here are some of the top lessons I’ve learned from the Chief.


Lessons from my Dad:

(I just love this pic, it's from Bear Lake, we were going to practice our open water swimming skills)

- If you’re going to do something, do it right & work hard until you do it right: The value of hard work is something I’ve learned from my dad’s example. Like I’ve probably said before I have NEVER met someone that works harder than my dad. I don’t think he knows what a “day off” or “the weekend” means… He has always worked hard to provide for our family and worked hard at home as well. I cannot thank him enough for working hard and teaching us (his kids) how to work hard.


- Debt free is the best way to be: This one is kind of self-explanatory. This was a lesson learned somewhat by example and by teaching us how to handle our earnings. I say somewhat because I always knew my Dad was “good” at budgeting and saving money, but it wasn’t until my parents went over their will with us that I realized how good my dad was at budgeting his money. So thanks Dad for the lessons about saving money and avoiding debt, they have helped me get through college debt-free.

(This picture has nothing to do with money management, but I had to break up the largest section somehow. This pic is from R&K's wedding day)

Here’s another story/experience I credit to my dad’s money saving lessons: Backstory: Adrienne’s freshman year at BYU, she passed out in the bathroom, had to be taken to the hospital, blah, blah she’s fine had some stitches or something. I remember that the ambulance ‘fee’ was outrageous for a ride down the hill from the dorms to the hospital. Log that away for future reference. Fast forward a year: I’m a senior in high school, after swim practice one afternoon I was ‘horseplaying’ (as we lifeguards like to call it, yes I was a super responsible lifeguard) with a teammate. By some freak accident & my awkwardness I ended up ‘face-planting’ it into the pool deck, smooth I know. Anyway, I had a gash in my forehead that needed hospital care & as I was lying on the pool deck holding a towel on my forehead to control the bleeding one of the lifeguards came up & asked the other guards if they should call for an ambulance. The inner penny-pincher in me freaked out & I almost sat straight up in objection, but I looked at all of them & said, “no, no ambulance, they’re too expensive. I can drive myself”. That last part was a lie, but I didn’t want to pay (er…I didn’t want the parentals to pay) for an ambulance. The Kleinman duo was kind enough to drive me to the hospital. Once my parents arrived, one of the first things I told my dad was, “don’t worry, I told them I didn’t need an ambulance”. I’m sure (scratch that, I’m positive) they would not have cared if I took an ambulance to the hospital, but it was nice when my dad responded, “that’s my girl!”

- Humor: OK I could write about the humor “lessons” I’ve learned from my dad for days (the cricket story, the biggest crack I’ve ever seen story, etc.)! But I will spare you all the migraine of having to read that much small print for so long. Thanks dad for teaching me that laughter really is the best medicine & that sarcasm is an essential part of a well-balanced life.

(Dad flying the 'family' helicopter that we got for Christmas)

- Secret service is the best kind of service: I think I’ve already (in past posts) talked about how awesome my parents are at serving others, but some of my favorite ‘service’ experiences have been when we would serve others secretly. This usually meant leaving something at someone’s door, ringing the doorbell & running away. Thanks for instilling in me the importance of serving others; it has blessed my life in so many ways.

- Being angry at someone is never good (for you or that person): I honestly cannot remember a time when my dad was angry with/at me (i.e. yelling/freaking out…). Don’t get me wrong, I was a stupid kid & there where a number of times my Dad was upset/disappointed with me, but never angry (there was that one time I left my bag on the stairs & he ‘fell’ down the stairs after stepping on it…that was close to angry but mostly just a few choice words…ha). I think the quiet calm response to my stupidity was more instructive than yelling. Thanks Dad, for teaching me that no matter what the situation, “angry” is the last thing you should be.

Thanks Chief, for all the lessons you have taught me & continue to teach me. I have learned some much from the ‘lessons’ you have taught me by word & example. I feel extremely blessed to be your daughter & to have such a funny, faithful, understanding, loving, cool dad.

Thanks! I LOVE you MAN!!

No comments: